Monday, April 8, 2013

Leftovers Turning Japanese: Beef With Broccoli


I prefer cooking everything fresh, but frequently I find myself with leftovers in the refrigerator.

Such was the case after enjoying London Broil.  We had about a pound of beef that we didn't finish, so I cut it into small pieces and put it in Tupperware to use another day. 

Rather than my original plan to make barbecued beef sandwiches with the leftovers, I decided to make Beef With Broccoli, which turned out delicious and can be easily duplicated by you.

Heat two tablespoons of olive oil in a wok, and when it is hot enough to sizzle when you throw in a sample piece of beef, add one pound of diced leftover beef, spreading it around to brown it all.  Shake in some onion flakes.  By the way, you can use fresh beef, but you'll of course need to cook it longer.  If you are using pre-cooked London Broil as I was, you can add veggies as quickly as I could cut them.

Cut a half cup of carrots into small pieces and add those to the beef.

Cut a cup of florets from a broccoli crown.  Use two cups of broccoli, if you don't have many other vegetables.  Stir in the broccoli.

I also had zucchini, so I sliced that up into half disks a quarter inch thick, and stirred that in too.

Season liberally with seasoned salt and pepper

To be perfectly honest, that probably is plenty of vegetables for this dish, unless you prefer fresh onions cut into strands (as I said, Julie doesn't like the smell of fresh onions), but I basically like to use whatever vegetables I have on hand. You'll recognize the usual suspects.

Cut a small bunch of asparagus into three inch lengths and stir in the stem portions.

Cut a stalk of celery into small pieces and add those.

Slice four large mushrooms and stir those in.

Add 2 tablespoons of Lawry's Terriyaki Marinade. Stir it all together for a minute or so.

Finally, add the asparagus tops. These are rather delicate, so you always add them last and stir them in gently.

At this point, you can cover and simmer for a few minutes if the veggies haven't had time to cook thoroughly. Often, I cover it and turn off the heat, because I tend to cook in anticipation of eating later.

Note that while the London Broil was made with Mesquite Marinade, it worked perfectly well with this teriyaki flavored dish.  I have found this to be true for even something like Santa Maria flavored tri-tip, which would seem to be totally contrary in flavor.  If anything, it all works together to enhance the overall dish.

Clean-up is again a breeze.  Just wash the wok with soap and water.

No comments:

Post a Comment