Sunday, April 28, 2019

Chicken Redondo

I put a photo of Chicken Redondo on facebook yesterday, and my brother-in-law John commented that he couldn't find any recipe for a dish of that name on line.



That can't be right, I thought, because Julie and I have this about once a week.  It's a low-carb substitute for our old favorite, pizza.

My own search, however, found he was right, despite going directly to this blog specifically.

It turns out I was too clever --- or more accurately too foolish --- and had the recipe named "Instant Parmesan'll Get You."

Using chicken instead of eggplant was a twist on that Eggplant Parmesan recipe.

I then wrote a second recipe that's a variation (no sauce and cheese) a short time after the first, but that title isn't much more indicative of the dish: "My Name Is Chicken McLicken."

Then again, I have since changed the recipe since I originally created it, so now is as good a time as any to record that new one for posterity, or at least my original target, my adult kids.

I now line the glass baking dish with foil and then put parchment paper as a layer on top of the foil (Reynolds stopped selling the combined cooking sheets that was one of the building blocks of Q-CC).  That makes for that easy clean-up that has made Quick-Clean Cuisine a term used in every kitchen throughout the world, or at least in my kitchen.

I then pour about a cup and a half of Progresso Bread Crumbs on one side of the lined dish and a couple of tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil in the other half.

This will save the messiness of using a separate dish in milk or eggs, and if you're a Vegan, as our daughter Amy is now, it also makes the Eggplant Parmesan version of this recipe entirely Vegan.

As more of an Atkins Advocate, however, I usually make Chicken Redondo, which requires two boneless, skinless chicken breasts that have been re-cleaned beyond what the store butcher does (at least in the cheap chicken I buy), getting rid of any extra skin, veins of fat or things that just look gross.

Then, butterfly the chicken to make them not as thick.  Daughter Gina's mother-in-law Ria makes a great Wiener Schnitzel by pounding the chicken flat, but that requires extra tools and mess, so I just slice them thinner.  I also like to cut those thinner slices into smaller pieces, which makes them easier to apportion and also puts more oil and breading on each piece.

Simply lay the chicken breast pieces in the olive oil one at a time, turn that piece over and then repeat that process in the bread crumbs.  It is surprisingly effective.

Stack the chicken up inside the cooking dish as best you can, and if you need more oil or bread crumbs, either ask Julie to pour more in (and I have to wonder, what is Julie doing in your kitchen?) or wash your hands before pouring more.  Obviously, guessing the right amount initially is easiest, but I've found if you have a little too many bread crumbs, you can usually scoop them out to discard.  When all chicken pieces are breaded, spread them around the parchment paper-lined dish.

At that point, turn on the oven at 400 degrees for 40 minute (our oven has a built-in automatic cutoff).  I actually put the dish in as the oven pre-heats, but you can pre-heat the oven while you prepare the ingredients and cut the cooking time by maybe 7 minutes or so.  I set a timer for 25 minutes.

When the time goes off, there should be about 25 to 30 minutes left (I use a convection oven that adjusts my oven temperature to 375 and cooking time down too, but this isn't exact science).  Take the chicken pan out of the oven.  Add the pasta sauce to the top by pouring it on and spreading it with a spoon.  I like Francesco Rinaldi, Newman's Own or the Target brand, but that is a matter of personal taste.  Put the chicken back in the oven for another 15 to 20 minutes, depending you the type of oven you have.

Set the timer to buzz when you have about 11 minutes left on the baking time, if you have auto-shutoff.

Throw in handfuls of grated Mexican cheese to your personal taste.  I like to cover it like it's a pizza, which is to say, with plenty of cheese to cover everything, although I also go all the way to the edge.

Set another timer for 7 or 8 minutes --- or start the video below just before you put the dish back in the oven in lieuof a timer --- so you can check to see if it is done before the oven turns off automatically. The cheese should get browned but not completely degrade into brownish red mush, which doesn't taste bad but could be better.

When it is done, turn off the oven and take it out.


1 comment:

  1. Listing your business information on these Faridabad Local Business Directory increases online exposure and provides new avenues to reach potential customers.

    ReplyDelete